Saturday, September 27, 2008

Really?!?

I just had the most ridiculous thing happen to me. I was sitting at home watching tv and the doorbell rang. I went to the door, holding the dog's collar so she won't run out the door and I'm greeted by a girl passing out fliers for someone running for state representative. I open the door and she says, "Hello there, is your mom or dad home?" REALLY?!?! Come on! REALLY?!? I'm 30 years old and she thinks I still live with my mom and dad? I said "I'm an adult." "Wow, really, what's your secret?" Then she tells me that she is 27. What's that? She's 3 years younger than me and she mistook me for a minor? I could tell she was embarrased because she couldn't get out a complete sentence after that and would not stop talking about how young I look. I know many of our more "mature" readers would find this to be the utmost compliment, but I don't. It happens all the time (but usually only when I'm not around David- being with him makes me look older I guess.)

When I was student teaching in 2nd grade as a 21 year old, a substitute in the building mistook me for a second grader. She thought the class was walking down the hall by themselves without supervision. A class of 8 year olds. I was 21. Come on, people!

Actually there was this one time that we got a pretty good laugh from one of these experiences. It happened right before David and I started dating. Several of us were driving back from a friend's wedding in Ohio and we stopped at McDonalds for dinner. I only had a couple of bucks and wasn't terribly hungry, so I decided to get a happy meal. (This was before the value menu). David was behind me in line and offered to give me more money, but I declined. The cashier (a teenager) completed my order and I went to go get my drink. David then stepped up to give his order and the cashier asked, "Is that your daughter?" He said, "How old do you think she.... Wait, how old do you think I am?!?" The cashier guessed him to be in his late 30's and me in my early teens. We were 22 and 23 at the time.

Lesson learned: If I want people to recognize me for my true age, I guess I can't even take Saturday mornings off from wearing make-up. Without it, I apparently look like a child. Mascara and lipstick, here I come...

How about you? Have you ever had someone incorrectly guess your age by an embarrassing margin?

3 comments:

Jimmy and Amie said...

wow melissa, thats crazy!!!!! i was always offended when people thought my sister was older than me when i was 16 and she was 13. i've never experienced anything that bad though!!! : ) good story!

The Hofer Fam said...

girl, u know it. It's the Liddick blood. I had the same thing happen to me when we lived in California. Someone asked me if my parents were at home. I was 23 or so at the time. Mike always laughs at me about that. Even now people think that I'm in high school and I'm just visiting the school for fun or a class. I have to tell them that I am their child's music teacher. It's great fun.

Spearmint said...

I'd take it as a compliment, heh.

One time a bus driver nearly ripped my head off when I was 13 and tried to get a child-priced ticket. Obviously I must of been a big 13-year-old as he thought I was "somewhere around 18"...