Monday, July 08, 2013

More Than We Could Ever Ask or Imagine

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (Ephesians 3:20, 21 NIV)

When Addison was born I was given what I thought to be a once in a lifetime opportunity to witness her birth. Never did I ever think that chance would come up again. But God is so good because not only did I witness Ethan's birth but David did as well. We've been blessed with two incredibly selfless birth mothers that have allowed us to be a part of such a significant moment in our children's lives. As if that wasn't enough, I was also invited to cut the umbilical cord and be the first to hold him. On top of that we were given a room at the hospital in which to stay and be caretakers for Ethan during the first 48 hours of his life. For a woman who can not conceive, carry, or deliver her own babies, I can't even begin to explain to you how much those opportunities meant to me.

But as thrilling as it was to see and hold our son for the first time I would be lying if I said it wasn't also accompanied by great sadness. Adoption is tricky that way. Our great gain is because of someone else's great loss. Someone else went through the discomfort of pregnancy, the excruciating pain of childbirth, and the unbelievable heartache of letting go in order for our dream to come true.

But I have to step aside and realize that making our dreams come true was not the reason our birth mothers chose adoption. It was to make their kids' dreams come true. It was to give them a life that they weren't able to give them at that time. That helps my sorrow turn into astounding respect for the two incredibly strong women in our lives that have made that selfless choice.  So I want to publicly thank and celebrate Addison and Ethan's birth mothers.  Thank you for trusting us to raise and love two such amazing children.  We're so happy to know you both and to have you as an extension of our family.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Jimmy and Amie said...

Beautifully worded post!!