Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ready for spring!

This past week we've been graced with a number of spring-like days. It's been absolutely marvelous! Unfortunately it's days like these that make me desperate to go outside and start working the land. I love gardening. I don't know why; I think I get it from my dad. The problem is that I live in Minnesota and gardening now would only be in vain. We're bound to have a number of below freezing days and liable to have another snow before all is said and done. (Maybe if I plan on it, it won't happen!) So yesterday I figured out a way to satisfy my craving for gardening without it being a complete waste. I've turned our sun room into a greenhouse and started seedlings. There's an area in the back part of our back yard that (according to the neighbors) formerly housed a vegetable garden. It's since been overcome with weeds and a few wildflowers. The plan is to reclaim that little plot at the edge of our property and restore it to the vegetable garden I'm sure it would rather be. David and I have only ever planted a "salsa" garden before, so we're going to branch out and take a crack at a few other veggies. Assuming all the seeds I started succeed, the Gafford Garden 2009 will include.... corn, watermelon, big boy tomatoes, roma tomatoes, sweet 100 grape tomatoes, green beans, bell peppers, cucumbers, cilantro, and basil. I'm so excited, I can almost taste it!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Yea! I love gardening, too! Can't wait to see/hear how your garden turns out this year!