Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Living in limbo...again

Two years ago, we shared our adventures of living in limbo as we transitioned from Michigan to Minnesota. For a quick review, David began his job here on the first of June, while I stayed behind to attempt to sell the house. Six weeks later, the dog and I joined him and we proceeded to live in temporary housing: one week on a mattress in a vacant house, a few days with a family from church, a week in a family from church's house while they were on vacation, another week in another family from church's house while they were on vacation, and eventually we reached our "final" destination in Woodbury. The family owning this house was being transferred to Poland for two years, so we moved in and cared for their home while they were away. But alas, two years has come and gone, and the Sampson Seven have returned from Poland (and for some strange reason they want their house back!). We've spent the summer shopping for a house; a chore much more difficult than we anticipated. We waited far too long with an offer on a short sale house, but with August quickly approaching, we could wait no longer. We would hunt for houses one more time, finding a record 3 in one night that we both liked. We wrote an offer on the least expensive of the three, and 36 hours later had an accepted purchase agreement. The inspection has been done (no surprises there- thank goodness), and the loan has been applied for. The only problem: we can't close on the house until September 3rd. Why is that a problem? We have to be out of our house by the end of this week to make room for the Sampson's to return home and settle their house before school begins. So we return to life in limbo. We've moved 98% of our belongings into an enormous storage unit (which embarrassingly can not hold the remaining 2% of our stuff...) and are currently residing in our house for a few more days with a few amenities: our mattress, a TV, his and her laptops, and four lawn chairs. At the end of the week we will bid our final adieu to the Sampson's house and move in with yet another family from the church. What do people without a church family do when they find themselves in our situation? Seriously... We'd be lost without the gracious and generous people that we've met here at Five Oaks.

I'd post pictures of our move-out last weekend, but something happened and all the pictures got corrupted on my camera... But you can imagine.... moving truck, two small trailers, a mini-van, several friends from our small group and church, David's parents, doughnuts for breakfast, Papa John's for lunch, etc. You get the picture...

3 comments:

the lambs said...

Now I have the limbo song stuck in my head. =)

Doreen said...

You guys have become professional movers (lol)! Hope all goes well on your final move to your new home. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Kim and Joel said...

We just went through moving ourselves and are STILL trying to unpack the boxes. Glad you were able to find a house and look forward to seeing pictures! Hang in there!