Monday, August 13, 2007

Trying to have a good attitude...

It could be a lot worse.

At least I still have a job.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy my year.

I'm just disappointed.

I just found out I'll be teaching 3rd grade instead of 4th next year. Any of you who are teachers know what a pain it is to change grade levels. And now my coming experience in 3rd grade will complete my elementary repertoire. I will have officially taught every elementary grade 1-5. The thing is, I know that I'm capable of being a fantastic teacher if I could just have the opportunity to actually build on a grade level for once. That first year is spent just trying to stay two steps ahead of the kids. The ability to enhance and dress up my lessons will only come with either working 12-14 hours a day or a little experience. I want my students to be able to have the great teacher that they deserve. It's just so disappointing that everything that I worked so hard to create and develop last year is now wasted and I'm right back where I was a year ago. I'm trying to have a good attitude and look at the bright side; I'm just disappointed and frustrated that it's going to be so much work. The irony is that when I decided that I wanted to be a teacher (when I was in 3rd grade), it was 3rd grade that I always wanted to teach and it's the only grade left for me to experience. If I had any kind of assurance that this would be the last time I have to change grades for a while, I think it would make this a little easier. Unfortunately, that is not very likely.

6 comments:

jenny marvin mealy said...

D'Oh!
That is not good news. I do believe that no matter what you are a great teacher!

I am going to pray that there will be a very special something this year for you. A student who really needs something only you can give, or an opportunity to do something really cool with your kids, whatever it is that God has for you it is going to be a great thing.

Just remember everything is Father filtered and He has already gone before you in this task of changing grades yet again.

oh and the Simpson's thing--
http://simpsonizeme.com

Joelle Lynn said...

Oh Melissa, I am sorry you will once again experience change.....but you know as well as I do that Change is Good:)
I hear everything you are saying and know that you are more than capable.... You will be an excellent 3rd grade teacher this year and I know that God has "GOD size" dreams for you. Just be patient to see what He has in store. Being a teacher is not easy and you certianly did not get into for the money but you had a dream and you continue to follow it - maybe this is it- I can not reaasure you this will be your forever class but I can tell you Yes, it will be a lot of work- but I am looking forward to hearing what a wonderful year you are having! I will be praying with you and for you. I am full of hope for your year and confident you are following Gods plan for your life. I will be praying for a renewed passion for 3rd grade.......

mi*chelle said...

You'll be fine, Melissa! :) Don't worry!

I know it sounds cliche, but think of it this way: Your administrators must have faith in your ability to think quickly and adapt...it may not feel better hearing this now, but you will look back on it someday...

ALSO - one more note. Next year, unless you do Kindergarten, you are BOUND to get that second year of experience that you want! :) No matter where! :)

Unknown said...

I"m sorry that you are disappointed and that you have to yet again change grades. Hang in there though! That's a very cool story that 3rd grade was the grade you felt called to teaching! Expand on that! I know you'll do a great job!

Doreen said...

Melissa, I have no doubt that you are going to do an awesome job!! It has to be better than teaching the 3 year old class!! Praying for you and the changes that will come!!

Anonymous said...

Girl...I totally understand and feel for you! I started teaching first grade in November and only taught half days. Then, I got a real first grade class the following year but it was like starting over. I was really building my files that summer so I would be ahead the following year. Then I found out I was pregnant!

Hang in there! At least you know what to build on from 2nd grade and what to expect in 4th grade.

I miss you!

Jess