Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A little excitement coming home

Last weekend we went up to Andover to attend an Avalon concert at our friends Dan and Angie's church. Afterward, it was about 10:30 when we were passing through the town of Blaine, heading down the highway and we heard some sirens. So we looked all around us and noticed 2 police cars racing down the oncoming lanes. I remember saying out loud, "Oh, I wonder where they're headed." Coincidently, they took the turn around about 20 yards ahead of us to join our lane and then we couldn't see where they went from there. Seconds later, from out of nowhere about 8 more police cars appeared, completely blocking off our two lanes, beginning with the car in front of us. A couple of seconds later there were probably 15 cops out of their cars with guns drawn. At that time we could see that they had pulled over two cars on the side street, each carrying 2 people (I think). At first we were like, "Wow, we get front row seats to see what goes down!" But then we were like, "There are a lot of guns out right now; our position could be a little dangerous." We kind of ducked down in our seats a little (our lanes were completely blocked by police cars; there was no escaping...), but once we realized that the people in the cars were surrendering without a fight I got a little brave and pulled my camera out. You can't see a whole lot, but if you look carefully you can see a couple different officers with their guns drawn. I waited a week to post this, hoping I could find out what that was all about, but no luck. Incidently, when we finally were able to move on, we could see that those first two police cars had pulled two additional cars over that were just out of our sight. In all, they pulled over 4 cars and arrested at least 6 people, I think. I'll always wonder what happened there, but at least I know why I was stuck in traffic for 1/2 hour at 10:30 on a Friday night. There were other people in that traffic jam that probably have no clue.

3 comments:

the lambs said...

Yikes! Looks a little like the crime dramas we watch on tv.

Joelle Lynn said...

only you have the guts to video a police- what, chase, investigation, arrest....I feel a sermon illustration coming on.....you're to funny!

TheGaffords said...

I thought if something real crazy happened, I could sell it to a news station!