Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Card-Carrying Member

Is it bad that I've been living here in Woodbury since the middle of July and I only just made my first visit to the public library?

I've been in a reading phase lately, where I can't seem to stop reading. So, spring break seemed like the perfect opportunity to go feed my new hobby. We were really impressed with how technologically advanced our library is. Perhaps this is a common thing, and we just don't get to the library enough to realize that it's not that big of a deal, but our library has a self-checkout system. Just like at the grocery store, you swipe your own books and library card, and you're out the door, without ever having to interact with anyone.

My first job in high school was working at the Sturgis Public Library. I remember the days when you had to check each book out manually, stamping cards with the loud, ka-chunk noise. We've come a long way. Back then I couldn't wait for my hour behind the circulation desk, giving me a break from the boring task of shelving books. I'm glad things were a little simpler back then.