Saturday, August 08, 2009

Grandma Foster would be so proud!

I broke out my sewing machine for the first time in a couple of years yesterday. Years ago Grandma Foster spent about a week with us teaching me the art of sewing. Unfortunately it's the kind of skill that unless practiced often, gets easily forgotten (at least in my case). Or maybe I'll rephrase that in saying that the skills may still be there, but the confidence in those skills is lacking. My friend Sadie spent the morning with me yesterday and kept me company while I reunited with my sewing machine. We worked together to transform a shower curtain (which matched my new bathroom rug and hand towel) into curtains for my 1/2 bath.

I was having so much fun after that project that I kept at it after Sadie left and made pillow shams to match the guest room curtains. I'd purchased an extra set of curtains probably 9 months ago, thinking that I would do this, but never had the confidence to actually dig in and try.

Grandma has been gone for several years now, but I'm so thankful that I had that opportunity to learn from her before she passed away. Now every time I pull out my sewing machine (which hopefully will be more often now...) I'm reminded of my grandma and what a talented lady she was with a needle and thread!

(Grandma Foster with Mike and me at Disney World back in '81)

3 comments:

angie leverence said...

Love the new additions Melissa, and the tribute to Grandma. Very touching!

Anonymous said...

Sweetie,

GREAT job! Grandma definitely would be proud; I certainly am!!!

Love,
Mom

Holly GAFFORD! said...

Hey there Gaffords - I am a Gafford too! There's not a lot of us here in PA and I've never run across another Gafford... any ancestors trace back to the PA or VA area? I'd love to find out! let me know at hollygafford at gmail dot com!